Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Cross country race Stabroek / Veldloop in Stabroek

This year I'm competing in the KAVVV cross country challenge. Six races (Wommelgem, Schoten, Stabroek, Burcht, Kalmthout and Zandhoven) in the province of Antwerp. It's a great way to make it through winter and completely different from the road races I'm used to. Sometimes it's a fast course on leafy paths in a park, another you have to slosh through the mud in a meadow.



For each entry you collect points and you try to achieve the best possible score in the final result after six races. You can compete in every six races but only the five best results count. That way you can actually miss a race if need be. It's great fun if you're a bit competitive.


This weekend I participated in the third cross country in Stabroek, Antwerp. The course was measured out in a meadow (cow droppings included). We had to run 4 laps of approximately 1500 meters. Since I'm 41 years old I'm competing in the masters category. Runners don't actually start together. The oldest athlete (e.g. 75 years old) gets a bonus and is allowed to start first. Next is 74 etcetera. So by the time I finally get to the start all these older runners got a head start. In my category (40 - 49) there's a gap of 5 seconds for every year. Saturday I started last together with three other 41-year-olds. So it's a race where try to overtake as many runners as possible.


It was a tough race. Lots of rain and mud, not a fast course at all. I had to toil, heavy panting and all. My first to cross country races were better for certain. My foot still hurt. that's what you get when running with spikes. But it was great fun competing out there. I ended up 12th of 26 participants (that is in my category). And for now I rank sixth out of 43 after three races.


Ook dit jaar neem ik deel aan het KAVVV veldloopcriterium. Zes wedstrijden (Wommelgem, Schoten, Stabroek, Burcht, Kalmthout en Zandhoven) in de provincie Antwerpen. Het is een leuke manier om de winter door te komen en helemaal anders dan stratenlopen. De ene keer is het een snelle wedstrijd op herfstige parkpaadjes, een andere keer is het ploeteren in de modder van een weide.


Voor elke deelname verzamel je punten en zo probeer je een zo goed mogelijke einduitslag te behalen. Je kan aan alle zes wedstrijden meedoen en het slechtste resultaat valt weg. Ontzettend leuk als je van een beetje competitie houdt.


Dit weekend nam ik deel aan de derde criteriumcross in Stabroek. Het parcours is uitgezet in een weide waar je 4 rondjes loopt van ongeveer 1500 meter. Aangezien ik 41 jaar oud ben loop ik bij de masters. De deelnemers aan deze categorie starten niet allemaal samen. De oudste vertrekt eerst en zo gaat men stelselmatig naar de jongere atleten. Zo is een 75-jarige al een tijdje weg vooraleer ik als 41-jarige mag starten. Bij de veertigers zit er telkens 5 seconden tussen de verschillende geboortejaren. Een 42-jarige heeft dus een bonus van 5 seconden.


Het was een zware wedstrijd. Veel regen en modder, dus geen snel parcours. Ik heb behoorlijk moeten zwoegen en mijn twee vorige crossen waren zeker beter. Ik ondervind toch nog hinder van mijn rechtervoet, zeker wanneer ik met spikes moet lopen. Maar het was absoluut leuk om deze wedstrijd te lopen. Ik werd 12de op 26 deelnemers en in de tussenstand sta ik netjes 6de. Uitslag hier


No comments:

Post a Comment